Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Abstract triptych at essentially art Gallery Sydney


I recently started on a series of abstract work, these abstract are meant to be emotive pieces that capture a dreamy atmosphere. Studies in color-field, composition and texture. I must confess that I was a little lost at first but working with textures really initiated progress.
I had fun with mixing fillers and mediums, there are only few things as enjoyable as mixing paint on your pallet, it's a meditative moment filled with anticipation before you start painting with it.

I experimented with several materials: kaolin, sawdust, chalk, lean medium, liquin, oil, acrylics and house paints.
For the under-paintings: environmentally friendly house paints of the Byron bay paint factory, are a real joy to paint with.

This piece is called transformation and is as you can see is a triptych. I was going for warm deep, organic and mysterious. The red is a deep layered feast for the eye. the finished piece has a glaze of medium 3 over the top and framed with a dark brown frame.

This painting was shipped to the essentially art gallery in Sydney and will most likely be the first of many to come.

No comments: