Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The abstract approach











Working abstract with classic composition. These photos are taken two years ago outside of my studio at the arts factory village in Byron Bay, it is an abstract painting and my friend Chris (3rdeyefotos.com.au) was so kind to take some photos. This sequence shows a good example of progression and mark-making.
Abstract means it does not depict objects in the natural world, but instead uses color and form in a non-representational way, the term is often ('mis')used to describe art that depicts real forms in a simplified or rather reduced way.
You could call these figurative abstractions, or just plain 'abstractions', keeping only an allusion(reference to) of the original natural subject. these 'figurative-abstract' paintings manage to capture something of the depicted objects' immutable intrinsic qualities rather than its external appearance.
In my painting I started of thinking about a jellyfish and its organic underwater nature, this only influenced where I start off. Working abstract I revert back to the use of personal compositional rules, rhythm, light, texture, and color until I find something within this selection and appropriate placement of elements that gives the perception of the work as being esthetic, and/or invokes an emotional reaction. My abstract work has often got a lucid character to it, and whilst making it I feel quite dreamy, without the restrictions of logic and time.
The painting on the photos was painted end 2005.

No comments: